Saturday, May 29, 2010

I wonder…..if they put themselves in my shoes...

Today, yes, it’s Saturday, I decided to check my work email. Hardworking, you might say. No. I’m not a workaholic. It was because last Thursday, I was out for a meeting and it finished late in the evening and I decided to head home instead of going back to the office…so that I could catch the American Idol Season 9 finale! And Friday was a public holiday. Geez! Such a lengthy explanation on why I checked work email on a Saturday. Like, who gives a damn, right?

Anyway, there were 151 unread emails. That’s on Webmail. On Outlook, I have over 4000 unread emails in my inbox! And so, while deleting the unimportant ones, I came across two emails entitled “Resignation Letter”. Not one, but two. Two staffs resigned! Same day. Almost the same time. And same resignation letter template used! “Great!” I told myself. I didn’t say that in a frustrating tone and manner but in a relief kind of way. I knew it would happen in the course of time.

Why relief? Because it made my job easier! I don’t need to squeeze my brain out…thinking of the reasons to fire people. Well, I do actually have reasons but I don’t have the heart to fire people. Tough exterior, soft interior. That’s me. I think. Who am I to fire people? I’m just the head of the office. Donald Trump can fire people. My MD can. I can’t. Well, I can if I want to but I won’t. I’d just keep the staff at arms’ length and pick holes in him. Then, he resigns on his own accord. If I think it would be a great loss to the company to lose him, I’d fight my way with my bosses to keep him. Otherwise, I wouldn’t waste a single minute of my precious time begging him to stay. Good luck, thank you and bye-bye! Nextttttt!!

Okay, I’ll give you a few scenarios:-

• Wouldn’t you be out of patience if you saw your staff, playing some stupid game on Facebook almost every freaking time you passed his workstation? I can’t be passing by every five minutes to spot check but I wasn’t called CCTV for nothing, you know! Yes, it’s good to encourage workers to take 5 but that doesn’t mean he can take a break every five minutes!
• Wouldn’t you be frustrated when you just opened your eyes and the first text message you got especially on a Monday or Friday morning was from your staff informing you that he was on sick leave? Come on, been there, done that!
• Wouldn’t you be pissed off if your staff didn’t have the courtesy to even send you a text message to say he couldn’t come to work because his car broke down? When you asked him the next day, his excuse - no credit on his damn pre-paid cellphone!
• Wouldn’t you be upset if you saw your staff sleeping on his chair after lunch while the others were doing their work? I trembled in the balance when I saw that. What did I do? I took a book and slammed it on his head. Nah! I just woke him up nicely and told him to bring his own pillow the next time around. Like, come on! Just go to the toilet and take a power nap there!

Yes, the most challenging thing about my job is managing people. Seriously. It’s not easy. And no matter how you try to understand them and be nice, if you’re the boss, you’re bad! They will always have a bone to pick with you. I heard they gave me a nick name “Step Mom”! I also heard when they gossip with each other, they refer me as “Your boss”! Am I bothered by that? Hell no! Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words will never hurt me.

I wonder…..could they handle it if they put themselves in my shoes? Nah! I don’t think so. We don’t wear the same size, anyway!

2 comments:

Tuan Senang Besar said...

And she writes now :)
This will go on my RSS feed.
Look forward to more :)

Unknown said...

I literally Laughed Out Loud at the 1st paragraph. Yes you can write. Very amusing and very insightful. I can totally relate. Keep it up cantankerous one :)

Post a Comment